Hello ladies! For this blog post, I would love to share how I wake up with Jesus every morning. This is something that God has put on my heart lately for those of you who are still finding the habit of spending time with the Lord every morning. Here is how I spend my mornings with Jesus. Hopefully, this article will give you good suggestions on where to start so you can begin to tailor your routine.
- I begin with prayer. On most cases, I begin talking to God right after my eyes open! Even if all I say is, “Thank You, Jesus, for this day,” that’s a prayer. That’s always my first thought when I open my eyes because I’m so grateful. In general, though, I speak the Word of God over my day (practically over my life). I just say something like, “Lord, may this be a day of favor, purpose, and productivity in Jesus name. This is the day that You have made and I will rejoice in it knowing that You are always present.” This always sets my mood for the day. They say your first thoughts in the morning dictate your mood, so make them Godly thoughts! When the enemy tries to attack you after waking up, speak the Word of God over yourself.
- I make coffee or tea. OK, for me, this is necessary! Lord knows I looooove me some coffee and tea. And, this may sound strange, but a warm morning beverage is like the ‘cherry on top.’ I’m not a morning person…I am not. So I need something that will energize my body and wake me up mentally so I can feel more prepared. My favorite coffee is Organo Gold Latte. My favorite tea brands are Pure Leaf (I recommend their Black Tea with Vanilla and Green Tea with Citrus) and Celestial Seasonings.
- Worship! We should worship and praise God every day all day. But in the morning especially because it is the start of a new day. That’s really when I like to get my best praise in ( and at night as well before I go to bed). Something that really helps me to prompt my worship is my gospel station on Pandora. I created a Tasha Cobbs station that I’m absolutely in love with. Every song on that station just reminds me of how great and beautiful our God is and sometimes I just can’t help but become overwhelmed. Yes! Worship is basically telling God how great and amazing He is, how faithful He’s been to you, and how much you love Him. Worship brings God close to you and you really feel Him near.
- I read scripture. This is something I do while playing my gospel station. Currently, I’m on a reading plan where I’m reading through the entire bible. But I also follow a daily devotional reading plan which I read every morning as well. But generally, I just ask God to guide me through His word. There are many ways I go about reading scripture. I ask the Holy Spirit to lead me to the passage that will feed my spirit with what it needs. I search the concordance and look for terms that I want to read on (e.g. “peace,” “persecution,” or “ministry.”). Before I read, I always ask God for a revelation, a deeper understanding of His word. I want God to clear up the passages that are confusing to me. If I feel led, I write down any reflections or revelations from my study. Reading scripture helps me to fill my thoughts with God and His character.
- Meditate. Take in the goodness and fullness of God. Meditate on His word and what you just read. Realize that He is all you need in life to be filled. Back when I was job hunting, I would wake up every morning thinking, “If only I had a second job, I would be good!” But God told me that I didn’t need more income to be happy with my life. All I needed was Him, my Provider and my Joy. So I woke up every morning sincerely praising God and thanking Him for His love and sovereignty. I spent so much time in His presence that I no longer felt the desire to be fulfilled with earthly riches. I learned to find full joy and fulfillment in God. (And if I must add, God blessed me with a writing job at Forsyth Woman Magazine at the beginning of the year!) So meditate on God’s goodness and the fullness that He offers every single day. Tell Him that He is all you need, even if you don’t convince yourself the first time. If you need to, saying it over and over again until you truly believe it.
“Let me hear of your unfailing love each morning,
for I am trusting you.
Show me where to walk,
for I give myself to you.” ~ Psalm 143:8