“Who may climb the mountain of the Lord?
Who may stand in his holy place?
Only those whose hands and hearts are pure,
who do not worship idols
and never tell lies.
They will receive the Lord’s blessing
and have a right relationship with God their savior” ~Psalm 24:3-5
What does it mean to be pure?
Purity means without corruption or pollution. Simply put, spiritual purity is when we live life in the Spirit while resisting the gravitational pull of the world and our flesh. So in order to stay pure, we must not satisfy our fleshy cravings or become influenced by the world…which is full of sin.
Why is purity important?
We must show God just how much we love Him by honoring Him with our lives and our bodies (Romans 12:1-2); this is how we truly worship God. When we accept Jesus into our lives and genuinely pursue Him, we become disgusted and turned off by sin. As we mature spiritually, we lose the desire to sin because we disappoint God when we do. How can we say that we love God and still continue to sin willingly?
“This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!” ~ 2 Corinthians 5:17
Why is it so hard to maintain?
With this world being so heavily peppered with sexuality and immorality, it can be very tempting and lure us into impurity. This world will pull us away from God if we’re not strongly rooted in Him.
“The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure.” ~ 1 Corinthians 10:13
How awesome is this verse?! It’s comforting to know that we aren’t trapped by temptation (we only become trapped when we allow ourselves to). As the above scripture points out, God will show us a way to escape temptation, even in this crazy world.
God warns us against corrupt living (Galatians 5:16-26). Being that we’re saved and accepted Jesus, we must keep a strong desire to stay pure, even if we have to ask God to give us that desire. When we are as pure as we can be, we see more of God in our lives. What a beautiful thing! When we have too much pollution and clutter in our lives, it’s hard to see God beyond that clutter. So we must clear out all the clutter so we can breathe in the clean, pure air that God gives us…and so we can see Him!
How do we maintain (or stay) pure?
Here are 7 ways to remain pure:
- Repent. I generally cannot stress repenting enough. This is how we purify our sins. We must do this daily. Sometimes I find myself repenting every time I talk to Jesus! (Psalm 51:10)
- Pray consistently. The more we communicate with God, the more He reveals His holy character to us. Very much how we become like the people we hang with, when we hang with God we start to become more like Him. Remember, we are who we hang with! (Jeremiah 33:3)
- Practice pure thinking. Purity begins from within. If our hearts are pure, then our actions and lifestyles will be too. We simply cannot ACT pure, that isn’t enough! We must ask God to change our hearts and make them pure. God doesn’t suggest that we practice pure thinking, He commands that we do. (Philippians 4:8)
- Say ‘NO’ to sin.
We wrestle with our flesh every single day. The flesh craves nothing but sin and satisfying that craving pulls us away from God and makes us impure. So the next time you are tempted to sin, ask God to help you resist the devil and say “NO!”
- Imitate Jesus. Remember when Jesus was tried by Satan in the wilderness (Matthew 4:1-11)? He demonstrated how we should act when we encounter temptation. Jesus was tempted three times and each time, He said ‘no!’ He also told the devil that one must only worship the Living God and that’s when Satan finally walked away. A pure heart is quick to resist sin and stays rooted in God.
- Stay obedient. Obey God and His word. Be sensitive to the Holy Spirit at all times and obey Him, even in the smallest things.
- Stay in God’s word. The Bible tells us everything we need to know on purity and how to remain pure 🙂 Look up passages and scriptures on pure living, try bible reading plans on purity, or search your concordance to see what the Bible says about pure living.
“How can a young person stay pure?
By obeying your word.” ~Psalm 119:9